Speaking of coffee, many people still argue that coffee is bad for health. Actually not quite true. Coffee, always consumed with caution, is actually beneficial to health. Whatever, not just coffee, if consumed in excess is definitely not good.
According to Harvard Health of Women, the consumption of several cups of coffee a day may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, the formation of kidney stones, colon cancer, Parkinson’s disease, liver damage (cirrhosis) prevent heart disease and cognitive decline in brain power.
- Diabetes. Twenty studies from around the world shows that coffee reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes by 50%. The researchers speculate that the cause is chlorogenic acid in coffee act to decrease the absorption of sugar in the digestive tract.Chlorogenic acid also stimulates the formation of GLP-1, a chemical that increases insulin (the hormone that regulates the absorption of sugar into the cells.) Other substances in coffee that trigonelline (pro-vitamin B3) is also believed helps slow the absorption of glucose.
- Cancer. Research has shown that coffee reduces the risk of liver cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer.
- Cirrhosis. Coffee protects the liver from cirrhosis, particularly cirrhosis due to alcoholism.
- Parkinson’s disease. Coffee drinkers have a risk more than half lower than those who do not drink coffee Parkinson.
- Heart disease and stroke. Coffee consumption does not increase the risk of heart disease and stroke. By contrast, coffee actually slightly reduce the risk of strokes. A study of more than 83,000 women over 24 showed those who drank two to three cups of coffee a day had a risk of stroke by 19% lower than non-coffee drinkers. Studies of a number of men in Finland showed similar results.
- Cognitive function. A study of 4197 men and 2820 women in France showed that consumption of at least three cups of coffee a day can prevent the deterioration of cognitive function due to aging of the brain as much as 33 percent in women. However, these benefits not found in men. This may be because women are more sensitive to caffeine.
Coffee adverse effects
However, coffee also has a negative effect. Caffeine as the main content of coffee is a stimulant that an addict. Caffeine affects the cardiovascular system, such as increased heart rate and blood pressure. The negative impact that occurs when consumed in excess.
For most people, drinking two to three cups of coffee does not give a negative impact. More often coffee can cause heart palpitations, insomnia, headaches and other disorders. Therefore, for those who consumed coffee had no sleep, for example due to lack of sleep, suggests that consumption is spread throughout the day.
Research on the relationship of coffee consumption with miscarriage does not provide uniform conclusions. But, for the safety of pregnant women are advised not to drink more than a cup of coffee a day.